Quantity missing for inventory transfer records

Quantity missing for inventory transfer records

Suraj Khurana
Hello,

While creating inventory transfers, a new inventory item is created and
successfully gets updated after completing inventory transfer.
As per current implementation, we don't store transferred quantity anywhere
in *InventoryTransfer *entity and quantity is only available on the newly
created inventory item. Problem is, it gets deluded on time being and user
won't get exact quantity for which inventory transfer was initialized.

IMO, we should maintain transferred quantity at *InventoryTransfer *entity
as well for proper history maintenance of records.

Please share your thoughts on this.

--
Thanks and Regards,
*Suraj Khurana* | Sr. Enterprise Software Engineer
*HotWax Commerce*  by  *HotWax Systems*
Plot no. 80, Scheme no. 78, Vijay Nagar, Indore, M.P. India 452010

Re: Quantity missing for inventory transfer records

Vaibhav Jain
+1 to introduce "quantity" attribute in InventoryTransfer entity. Please
create a JIRA for this as well.

Thanks & Regards
--

Vaibhav Jain
Hotwax Systems,

On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 2:14 PM, Suraj Khurana <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> While creating inventory transfers, a new inventory item is created and
> successfully gets updated after completing inventory transfer.
> As per current implementation, we don't store transferred quantity anywhere
> in *InventoryTransfer *entity and quantity is only available on the newly
> created inventory item. Problem is, it gets deluded on time being and user
> won't get exact quantity for which inventory transfer was initialized.
>
> IMO, we should maintain transferred quantity at *InventoryTransfer *entity
> as well for proper history maintenance of records.
>
> Please share your thoughts on this.
>
> --
> Thanks and Regards,
> *Suraj Khurana* | Sr. Enterprise Software Engineer
> *HotWax Commerce*  by  *HotWax Systems*
> Plot no. 80, Scheme no. 78, Vijay Nagar, Indore, M.P. India 452010

Re: Quantity missing for inventory transfer records

James Yong-2
Hi Suraj,

Shouldn't the transfer detail be stored at Inventory Item Detail table?

Regards,
James Yong

On 2017-10-13 16:44, Suraj Khurana <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> While creating inventory transfers, a new inventory item is created and
> successfully gets updated after completing inventory transfer.
> As per current implementation, we don't store transferred quantity anywhere
> in *InventoryTransfer *entity and quantity is only available on the newly
> created inventory item. Problem is, it gets deluded on time being and user
> won't get exact quantity for which inventory transfer was initialized.
>
> IMO, we should maintain transferred quantity at *InventoryTransfer *entity
> as well for proper history maintenance of records.
>
> Please share your thoughts on this.
>
> --
> Thanks and Regards,
> *Suraj Khurana* | Sr. Enterprise Software Engineer
> *HotWax Commerce*  by  *HotWax Systems*
> Plot no. 80, Scheme no. 78, Vijay Nagar, Indore, M.P. India 452010

Re: Quantity missing for inventory transfer records

James Yong-2
Hi all,

It is better to add InventoryTransferId column to Inventory Item Detail (IID) table so that we easily link the IID record to the Inventory Transfer table.

What do you think?

Regards,
James Yong

On 2017-10-13 23:18, "James Yong"<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Suraj,
>
> Shouldn't the transfer detail be stored at Inventory Item Detail table?
>
> Regards,
> James Yong
>
> On 2017-10-13 16:44, Suraj Khurana <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > While creating inventory transfers, a new inventory item is created and
> > successfully gets updated after completing inventory transfer.
> > As per current implementation, we don't store transferred quantity anywhere
> > in *InventoryTransfer *entity and quantity is only available on the newly
> > created inventory item. Problem is, it gets deluded on time being and user
> > won't get exact quantity for which inventory transfer was initialized.
> >
> > IMO, we should maintain transferred quantity at *InventoryTransfer *entity
> > as well for proper history maintenance of records.
> >
> > Please share your thoughts on this.
> >
> > --
> > Thanks and Regards,
> > *Suraj Khurana* | Sr. Enterprise Software Engineer
> > *HotWax Commerce*  by  *HotWax Systems*
> > Plot no. 80, Scheme no. 78, Vijay Nagar, Indore, M.P. India 452010

RE: Quantity missing for inventory transfer records

swapnil
Folks,
One very frequent use case that we encounter is that any transfer request
initiated from one facility to another is generally for multiple products
as they all need to go in a single shipment against transfer request so as
to be cost effective.

Current schema has the limitation that any given inventory transfer can
only be for single inventory item (and hence only one product). Would it
make sense and be feasible if we enhance the existing design such that
multiple products/inventory can be tied with a single transfer
(InventoryTransferId) request (possibly by having InventoryTransferId +
InventoryItemId as PK) and shipment is tied up with it as well. Of course
by leaving a proper audit trail via InventoryItemDetail etc.

Let's share any further thoughts or similar business cases and then we can
try to support it if it is generic enough.

Thanks & Regards,
Swapnil

wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > While creating inventory transfers, a new inventory item is created
> > and successfully gets updated after completing inventory transfer.
> > As per current implementation, we don't store transferred quantity
> > anywhere in *InventoryTransfer *entity and quantity is only
> > available on the newly created inventory item. Problem is, it gets
> > deluded on time being and user won't get exact quantity for which
inventory transfer was initialized.

> > IMO, we should maintain transferred quantity at *InventoryTransfer
> > *entity as well for proper history maintenance of records.
> >
> > Please share your thoughts on this.
> >
> > --
> > Thanks and Regards,
> > *Suraj Khurana* | Sr. Enterprise Software Engineer *HotWax Commerce*
> > by  *HotWax Systems* Plot no. 80, Scheme no. 78, Vijay Nagar,
> > Indore, M.P. India 452010

Re: RE: Quantity missing for inventory transfer records

James Yong-2
Hi Swapnil,

Another possible solution is to have an header entity, e.g. InventoryTransferHeader (ITH), containing additional or common info related to the group transfer.
For group transfer, ITH is created and each InventoryTransfer will contain a FK to ITH.
For single transfer, ITH can be empty.

Regards,
James Yong

On 2017-10-14 18:59, Swapnil Shah <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Folks,
> One very frequent use case that we encounter is that any transfer request
> initiated from one facility to another is generally for multiple products
> as they all need to go in a single shipment against transfer request so as
> to be cost effective.
>
> Current schema has the limitation that any given inventory transfer can
> only be for single inventory item (and hence only one product). Would it
> make sense and be feasible if we enhance the existing design such that
> multiple products/inventory can be tied with a single transfer
> (InventoryTransferId) request (possibly by having InventoryTransferId +
> InventoryItemId as PK) and shipment is tied up with it as well. Of course
> by leaving a proper audit trail via InventoryItemDetail etc.
>
> Let's share any further thoughts or similar business cases and then we can
> try to support it if it is generic enough.
>
> Thanks & Regards,
> Swapnil

Yes James,
ITH should work. I would prefer to have ITH tightly coupled with
InventoryTransfer(IT) i.e. even in case of single item transfer create
corresponding entries in ITH and IT both to maintain data integrity. Also,
We can try tying up Inventory Transfer with Shipment through ITH itself or
a separate entity e.g., InventoryTransferShipment.

On 2017-10-14 18:59, Swapnil Shah <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Folks,
> One very frequent use case that we encounter is that any transfer
> request initiated from one facility to another is generally for
> multiple products as they all need to go in a single shipment against
> transfer request so as to be cost effective.
>
> Current schema has the limitation that any given inventory transfer
> can only be for single inventory item (and hence only one product).
> Would it make sense and be feasible if we enhance the existing design
> such that multiple products/inventory can be tied with a single
> transfer
> (InventoryTransferId) request (possibly by having InventoryTransferId
> + InventoryItemId as PK) and shipment is tied up with it as well. Of
> course by leaving a proper audit trail via InventoryItemDetail etc.
>
> Let's share any further thoughts or similar business cases and then we
> can try to support it if it is generic enough.
>
> Thanks & Regards,
> Swapnil

Hello Swapnil/James,

There are many dependencies of inventory transfer in Business Requirements
like:

   1. In Inventory transfer generally, there is more than one product in
   any inventory transfer.
   2. Inventory transfer should have an association with Shipment which is
   missing.
   3. Inventory transfer should have an association with Accounting which
   is missing.
   4. Tax should be calculated(Applicable in India after GST) on inventory
   transfer.
   5. If the tax is exempted then need "Stock transferring" documentation.
   6. Tracking of Transferred inventory.
   7. Tracking of associated peoples(Picker, Packer, driver) with the
   respective transfer order.

Most of the attribute of inventory transfer is belongs to Order management
system. Hence we should have a flow to create a "Transfer Order" for
inventory transfer.

Inventory Transfer can be treated as "Receive product". Business does not
have workflows to receive the product directly i.e. PO should be created to
receive the product. If anyone wants to surpass the PO workflow and want to
receive the product then "Receive product" is useful. Same for inventory
transfer we should have a flow of transfer order and inventory transfer can
be used like "Receive Product" workflow.

Please share your thoughts

Thanks & Regards

Vaibhav Jain
Hotwax Systems,
[hidden email]

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 7:02 PM, Swapnil Shah <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes James,
> ITH should work. I would prefer to have ITH tightly coupled with
> InventoryTransfer(IT) i.e. even in case of single item transfer create
> corresponding entries in ITH and IT both to maintain data integrity. Also,
> We can try tying up Inventory Transfer with Shipment through ITH itself or
> a separate entity e.g., InventoryTransferShipment.
>
> Thanks & Regards,
> Swapnil

Re: RE: RE: Quantity missing for inventory transfer records

James Yong-2
Hi Swapnil,

Shipment is currently used for Delivery and Goods Inwards.
Why would you want a Shipment for Inventory Transfer?

Regards,
James Yong

On 2017-10-16 21:32, Swapnil Shah <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes James,
> ITH should work. I would prefer to have ITH tightly coupled with
> InventoryTransfer(IT) i.e. even in case of single item transfer create
> corresponding entries in ITH and IT both to maintain data integrity. Also,
> We can try tying up Inventory Transfer with Shipment through ITH itself or
> a separate entity e.g., InventoryTransferShipment.
>
> Thanks & Regards,
> Swapnil

Hi James,
As per the very nature of any business establishment, generally
Manufacturing Facilities or Distribution Centers(warehouses) or Stores
(which we term as facilities) of a single business entity are located at
different geographical areas. Any kind of stock movement across these
facilities needs to be shipped thorough preferred choice of carrier or
mode and hence the shipment association with Inventory Transfer could be
helpful. Any outbound shipment from originating facility should be
receivable at destination facility as inbound shipment.

Thanks,

wrote:

> > Folks,
> > One very frequent use case that we encounter is that any transfer
> > request initiated from one facility to another is generally for
> > multiple products as they all need to go in a single shipment
> > against transfer request so as to be cost effective.
> >
> > Current schema has the limitation that any given inventory transfer
> > can only be for single inventory item (and hence only one product).
> > Would it make sense and be feasible if we enhance the existing
> > design such that multiple products/inventory can be tied with a
> > single transfer
> > (InventoryTransferId) request (possibly by having
> > InventoryTransferId
> > + InventoryItemId as PK) and shipment is tied up with it as well. Of
> > course by leaving a proper audit trail via InventoryItemDetail etc.
> >
> > Let's share any further thoughts or similar business cases and then
> > we can try to support it if it is generic enough.
> >
> > Thanks & Regards,
> > Swapnil

Re: RE: RE: RE: Quantity missing for inventory transfer records

James Yong-2
Hi Swapnil,

Thanks for explaining the business case for associating Shipment and Inventory Transfer.
Good we have common agreement on using Inventory Transfer Header entity to manage group transfer.
For Inventory Transfer that involves Shipment, the approach by Vaibhav to reuse the Shipment to Order relation seems easier. So I will share my thoughts on Vaibhav's reply next.

Best Regards,
James Yong

On 2017-10-17 02:43, Swapnil Shah <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi James,
> As per the very nature of any business establishment, generally
> Manufacturing Facilities or Distribution Centers(warehouses) or Stores
> (which we term as facilities) of a single business entity are located at
> different geographical areas. Any kind of stock movement across these
> facilities needs to be shipped thorough preferred choice of carrier or
> mode and hence the shipment association with Inventory Transfer could be
> helpful. Any outbound shipment from originating facility should be
> receivable at destination facility as inbound shipment.
>
> Thanks,
> Swapnil

Hi Vaibhav,

My random thoughts on the possible implementation:

We can have a new InventoryTransferHeader (ITH) entity as mentioned earlier to manage group transfer.

Having Quality attribute to InventoryTransfer entity is reasonable since we may have an approval process before actual transfer.

User doing inventory transfer can have an Shipment option to enable shipment.

When inventory transfer is approval and Shipment option is selected, a corresponding Sales Order (SO) and Purchase Order (PO) will be created.

You may want to use a different Order Type for these transfer SO & PO.

No direct changes are allowed for transfer SO & PO. Changes can only be made at ITH and the associated Inventory Transfer entities.

There should be an attribute in SO & PO to link to ITH.

There is also a need to enhance the reservation function of SO to specify the inventory item id for reservation.

Regards,
James Yong

On 2017-10-16 23:05, Vaibhav Jain <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Swapnil/James,
>
> There are many dependencies of inventory transfer in Business Requirements
> like:
>
>    1. In Inventory transfer generally, there is more than one product in
>    any inventory transfer.
>    2. Inventory transfer should have an association with Shipment which is
>    missing.
>    3. Inventory transfer should have an association with Accounting which
>    is missing.
>    4. Tax should be calculated(Applicable in India after GST) on inventory
>    transfer.
>    5. If the tax is exempted then need "Stock transferring" documentation.
>    6. Tracking of Transferred inventory.
>    7. Tracking of associated peoples(Picker, Packer, driver) with the
>    respective transfer order.
>
> Most of the attribute of inventory transfer is belongs to Order management
> system. Hence we should have a flow to create a "Transfer Order" for
> inventory transfer.
>
> Inventory Transfer can be treated as "Receive product". Business does not
> have workflows to receive the product directly i.e. PO should be created to
> receive the product. If anyone wants to surpass the PO workflow and want to
> receive the product then "Receive product" is useful. Same for inventory
> transfer we should have a flow of transfer order and inventory transfer can
> be used like "Receive Product" workflow.
>
> Please share your thoughts
>
> Thanks & Regards
>
> Vaibhav Jain
> Hotwax Systems,
> [hidden email]
>
> On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 7:02 PM, Swapnil Shah <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Yes James,
> > ITH should work. I would prefer to have ITH tightly coupled with
> > InventoryTransfer(IT) i.e. even in case of single item transfer create
> > corresponding entries in ITH and IT both to maintain data integrity. Also,
> > We can try tying up Inventory Transfer with Shipment through ITH itself or
> > a separate entity e.g., InventoryTransferShipment.
> >
> > Thanks & Regards,
> > Swapnil

There is inherent & conceptual difference between Inventory transfer and
Orders for any given business and hence it would better serve to first do
proper due diligence. I would try to share few pointers on other thread if
that can facilitate in any which way.

On 2017-10-17 02:43, Swapnil Shah <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi James,

> As per the very nature of any business establishment, generally

> Manufacturing Facilities or Distribution Centers(warehouses) or Stores

> (which we term as facilities) of a single business entity are located

> at different geographical areas. Any kind of stock movement across

> these facilities needs to be shipped thorough preferred choice of

> carrier or mode and hence the shipment association with Inventory

> Transfer could be helpful. Any outbound shipment from originating

> facility should be receivable at destination facility as inbound shipment.

> Thanks,

> Swapnil

Let me try adding few more insights/details with regard to stock transfer
flow.

As we are referring to intra-organizational goods movement i.e., so
movement of goods would be for and within the same business entity. Here
are few pointers (if it can help in assessing any kind of technical
trade-off that needs to be made with respect to current implementation) :

   - Stock Transfer per se are going to involve goods exchange but there is
   no real time money exchange involved between shipper and receiver as they
   are both the very same business entity in the legal sense. So business
   might not be necessarily interested in generating any sales or purchase
   invoice against such transactions. Nor will there be any real time payment
   or invoice settlement required at either end.
   - In financial terms there are tax implications but its applicability
   varies depending upon the laws of the land or country/state-specific tax
   regulations. For example:
      - In US the very same item transferred in certain state might be
      taxable at certain rate but totally exempted or taxed at
different rate in
      another (someone with better understanding of US or EUR tax
regulations can
      throw more light and let us know if currently intra-company
goods transfer
      are even taxable or not)
      - In India, the tax implications in the case of goods transfer is now
      shifted on the supply of goods. As a result:
         - For inter-state transfer *there is tax liability and in this
         case, only a separate “Tax Invoice”* needs to be issued along with
         stock transfer note and supporting document (depending on the
inter-state
         regulations while crossing the state borders)
         - For intra-state transfers if business entity is having single
         registration for originating and receiving branches with tax
authority then *there
         is no tax liability and hence no Tax Invoice *needs to be issue.
         Only Delivery Note should suffice to transfer the goods.
         - For intra-state transfers if business entity is having different
         registration for originating and receiving branches with tax
authority then *there
         is tax liability and in this case, only a separate “Tax Invoice”*
         needs to be issued along with stock transfer note.
      - Any kind of applicable tax (if any) needs to be paid to the state
      only and a separate Tax Invoice needs to be generated in this case.
   - The transfer shipment needs to follow certain status transitioning
   i.e. ‘Requested’ à ‘In-review’ à ‘Shipped’ (from originating facility) à
   ‘In-transit’ à ‘Received’ (at destination facility). As it needs to be
   tracked internally.
   - The deemed transaction value and tax liability against the transferred
   goods should hit the accounting books against appropriate GL accounts per
   store and a separate GL account against the tax authority (in accordance
   with business rules).
   - Later at some point of time we may also like to systemically build the
   Transfer Requirement Planning and consolidate all the individual
   product-wise transfer ad-hoc or planned requests/requirement for a common
   destination facility (i.e., once any feature like
   https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-6964 gets implemented)

I hope it should help to come up with a generic enough solution that can
work across geographies with required level of flexibility.

Thanks,

Swapnil