Planning for the creation of the new 17.xx branch(es)

Planning for the creation of the new 17.xx branch(es)

Jacopo Cappellato-5
Hi all,

I think it is time to start thinking about if, when, how we should create
the new release branch out of the trunk. Actually, for the first time, we
should probably create two branches: one for the framework and one for the
plugins.
What do you think?

In my opinion we could try to get all the changes we want to have in the
trunk to be included in the branch by end of November: this means that the
the creation of the branch could happen at the end of November.
If this is the case then the names could be:
release17.11-framework
release17.11-plugins

The above is for the release *branches* only, not for the actual releases.
We could decide at a later point if the actual releases will be shipped as
two separate products (e.g. "Apache OFBiz Framework 17.11.01" and "Apache
OFBiz Plugins 17.11.01") or merged into one (e.g. "Apache OFBiz 17.11.01").

Best regards,

Jacopo

Re: Planning for the creation of the new 17.xx branch(es)

Swapnil Mane
+1 Jacopo.

We have done really good process from last OFBiz 16.11 release. And yes I
think, it's a right time to start planning for next release.

- Best Regards,
Swapnil M Mane

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 1:05 PM, Jacopo Cappellato <jacopo.cappellato@
hotwaxsystems.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I think it is time to start thinking about if, when, how we should create
> the new release branch out of the trunk. Actually, for the first time, we
> should probably create two branches: one for the framework and one for the
> plugins.
> What do you think?
>
> In my opinion we could try to get all the changes we want to have in the
> trunk to be included in the branch by end of November: this means that the
> the creation of the branch could happen at the end of November.
> If this is the case then the names could be:
> release17.11-framework
> release17.11-plugins
>
> The above is for the release *branches* only, not for the actual releases.
> We could decide at a later point if the actual releases will be shipped as
> two separate products (e.g. "Apache OFBiz Framework 17.11.01" and "Apache
> OFBiz Plugins 17.11.01") or merged into one (e.g. "Apache OFBiz 17.11.01").
>
> Best regards,
>
> Jacopo

Re: Planning for the creation of the new 17.xx branch(es)

Devanshu Vyas-2
+1 Jacopo, I couldn't agree with you more.
This is the right time to start planning and this way we can get all things
merged in the Trunk so they can be available in the new branch.

Thanks & Regards,
Devanshu Vyas.

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 1:36 PM, Swapnil Mane <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 Jacopo.
>
> We have done really good process from last OFBiz 16.11 release. And yes I
> think, it's a right time to start planning for next release.
>

> - Best Regards,
> Swapnil M Mane
>
> On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 1:05 PM, Jacopo Cappellato <jacopo.cappellato@
> hotwaxsystems.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I think it is time to start thinking about if, when, how we should create
> > the new release branch out of the trunk. Actually, for the first time, we
> > should probably create two branches: one for the framework and one for
> the
> > plugins.
> > What do you think?
> >
> > In my opinion we could try to get all the changes we want to have in the
> > trunk to be included in the branch by end of November: this means that
> the
> > the creation of the branch could happen at the end of November.
> > If this is the case then the names could be:
> > release17.11-framework
> > release17.11-plugins
> >
> > The above is for the release *branches* only, not for the actual
> releases.
> > We could decide at a later point if the actual releases will be shipped
> as
> > two separate products (e.g. "Apache OFBiz Framework 17.11.01" and "Apache
> > OFBiz Plugins 17.11.01") or merged into one (e.g. "Apache OFBiz
> 17.11.01").
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Jacopo

Re: Planning for the creation of the new 17.xx branch(es)

Jacques Le Roux
Administrator
+1, that sounds indeed like the right time

Jacques

Le 10/10/2017 à 10:15, Devanshu Vyas a écrit :

> +1 Jacopo, I couldn't agree with you more.
> This is the right time to start planning and this way we can get all things
> merged in the Trunk so they can be available in the new branch.
>
> Thanks & Regards,
> Devanshu Vyas.
>
> On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 1:36 PM, Swapnil Mane <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> +1 Jacopo.
>>
>> We have done really good process from last OFBiz 16.11 release. And yes I
>> think, it's a right time to start planning for next release.
>>

>> - Best Regards,
>> Swapnil M Mane
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 1:05 PM, Jacopo Cappellato <jacopo.cappellato@
>> hotwaxsystems.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I think it is time to start thinking about if, when, how we should create
>>> the new release branch out of the trunk. Actually, for the first time, we
>>> should probably create two branches: one for the framework and one for
>> the
>>> plugins.
>>> What do you think?
>>>
>>> In my opinion we could try to get all the changes we want to have in the
>>> trunk to be included in the branch by end of November: this means that
>> the
>>> the creation of the branch could happen at the end of November.
>>> If this is the case then the names could be:
>>> release17.11-framework
>>> release17.11-plugins
>>>
>>> The above is for the release *branches* only, not for the actual
>> releases.
>>> We could decide at a later point if the actual releases will be shipped
>> as
>>> two separate products (e.g. "Apache OFBiz Framework 17.11.01" and "Apache
>>> OFBiz Plugins 17.11.01") or merged into one (e.g. "Apache OFBiz
>> 17.11.01").
>>> Best regards,
>>>
>>> Jacopo

Re: Planning for the creation of the new 17.xx branch(es)

Deepak Dixit-3
+1 perfect make sense.
release17.11 looks good to me, We have around more then 1.5 month to
complete things.

Thanks & Regards
--
Deepak Dixit
www.hotwaxsystems.com

[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I think it is time to start thinking about if, when, how we should create
> the new release branch out of the trunk. Actually, for the first time, we
> should probably create two branches: one for the framework and one for the
> plugins.
> What do you think?
>
> In my opinion we could try to get all the changes we want to have in the
> trunk to be included in the branch by end of November: this means that the
> the creation of the branch could happen at the end of November.
> If this is the case then the names could be:
> release17.11-framework
> release17.11-plugins
>
> The above is for the release *branches* only, not for the actual releases.
> We could decide at a later point if the actual releases will be shipped as
> two separate products (e.g. "Apache OFBiz Framework 17.11.01" and "Apache
> OFBiz Plugins 17.11.01") or merged into one (e.g. "Apache OFBiz 17.11.01").
>
> Best regards,
>
> Jacopo

Re: Planning for the creation of the new 17.xx branch(es)

Suraj Khurana
+1.

Sounds good to me.

--
Thanks and Regards,
*Suraj Khurana* | Sr. Enterprise Software Engineer

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 2:11 PM, Deepak Dixit <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 perfect make sense.
> release17.11 looks good to me, We have around more then 1.5 month to
> complete things.
>
> Thanks & Regards
> --
> Deepak Dixit
> www.hotwaxsystems.com
> www.hotwax.co
>
> On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 1:05 PM, Jacopo Cappellato <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I think it is time to start thinking about if, when, how we should create
> > the new release branch out of the trunk. Actually, for the first time, we
> > should probably create two branches: one for the framework and one for
> the
> > plugins.
> > What do you think?
> >
> > In my opinion we could try to get all the changes we want to have in the
> > trunk to be included in the branch by end of November: this means that
> the
> > the creation of the branch could happen at the end of November.
> > If this is the case then the names could be:
> > release17.11-framework
> > release17.11-plugins
> >
> > The above is for the release *branches* only, not for the actual
> releases.
> > We could decide at a later point if the actual releases will be shipped
> as
> > two separate products (e.g. "Apache OFBiz Framework 17.11.01" and "Apache
> > OFBiz Plugins 17.11.01") or merged into one (e.g. "Apache OFBiz
> 17.11.01").
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Jacopo

Re: Planning for the creation of the new 17.xx branch(es)

Sharan-F
+1,  good idea! And yes it is about the right time to start focussing on
this.

Thanks
Sharan

On 10/10/17 09:35, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I think it is time to start thinking about if, when, how we should create
> the new release branch out of the trunk. Actually, for the first time, we
> should probably create two branches: one for the framework and one for the
> plugins.
> What do you think?
>
> In my opinion we could try to get all the changes we want to have in the
> trunk to be included in the branch by end of November: this means that the
> the creation of the branch could happen at the end of November.
> If this is the case then the names could be:
> release17.11-framework
> release17.11-plugins
>
> The above is for the release *branches* only, not for the actual releases.
> We could decide at a later point if the actual releases will be shipped as
> two separate products (e.g. "Apache OFBiz Framework 17.11.01" and "Apache
> OFBiz Plugins 17.11.01") or merged into one (e.g. "Apache OFBiz 17.11.01").
>
> Best regards,
>
> Jacopo

Re: Planning for the creation of the new 17.xx branch(es)

Michael Brohl-3
Hi Jacopo, all,

yes, we should definitely plan the next release.

Only thinking briefly about it, I would like to have the following
things completed before the release:

- FindBugs and refactoring tasks (at least most of it, needs two or
three rounds of review-and-commit sessions)

- the common theme work

There may be others, I need some silent minutes to think about it later.
November might be a bit too tight for these, maybe we could have a
December release?

What do you think?

Best regards,

Michael Brohl
ecomify GmbH
www.ecomify.de

Am 10.10.17 um 09:35 schrieb Jacopo Cappellato:

> Hi all,
>
> I think it is time to start thinking about if, when, how we should create
> the new release branch out of the trunk. Actually, for the first time, we
> should probably create two branches: one for the framework and one for the
> plugins.
> What do you think?
>
> In my opinion we could try to get all the changes we want to have in the
> trunk to be included in the branch by end of November: this means that the
> the creation of the branch could happen at the end of November.
> If this is the case then the names could be:
> release17.11-framework
> release17.11-plugins
>
> The above is for the release *branches* only, not for the actual releases.
> We could decide at a later point if the actual releases will be shipped as
> two separate products (e.g. "Apache OFBiz Framework 17.11.01" and "Apache
> OFBiz Plugins 17.11.01") or merged into one (e.g. "Apache OFBiz 17.11.01").
>
> Best regards,
>
> Jacopo

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Planning for the creation of the new 17.xx branch(es)

taher
Hi Jacopo,

I recently created a JIRA [1] to finalize the implementation of of
gradle to utilize a maven repository provided by Infra [2]. The
purpose of this maven repository as you may recall from our old
discussion [3] is to be able to publish OFBiz plugins as ZIP archives
in the repository.

So now the question has come, how do we publish? I don't have a very
clear idea in mind, but here are some thoughts:

- We proceed exactly as you suggested for the release branches.
- For plugins I distinguish between release branches vs actual
releases as follows
  - A single release branch would contain _all_ plugins (as exists right now)
  - However, for actual plugin releases maybe we just create a tag in
version control and then publish individually and separately to maven.

This way, we encourage people to avoid thinking of plugins as things
that you download from a branch and place manually, and instead think
of them as extra functionality that OFBiz can provide for you with a
single command on the command line (or maybe even through the UI in
the future). On a side note, I think this is going to be a great
release. We've accomplished a lot and solved quite a few bugs thanks
to the great efforts from the community.

Oh and +1 :)

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-9832
[3] http://markmail.org/message/bjvqu23ofwzuk57y

Cheers,

Taher Alkhateeb

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 10:35 AM, Jacopo Cappellato
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I think it is time to start thinking about if, when, how we should create
> the new release branch out of the trunk. Actually, for the first time, we
> should probably create two branches: one for the framework and one for the
> plugins.
> What do you think?
>
> In my opinion we could try to get all the changes we want to have in the
> trunk to be included in the branch by end of November: this means that the
> the creation of the branch could happen at the end of November.
> If this is the case then the names could be:
> release17.11-framework
> release17.11-plugins
>
> The above is for the release *branches* only, not for the actual releases.
> We could decide at a later point if the actual releases will be shipped as
> two separate products (e.g. "Apache OFBiz Framework 17.11.01" and "Apache
> OFBiz Plugins 17.11.01") or merged into one (e.g. "Apache OFBiz 17.11.01").
>
> Best regards,
>
> Jacopo

Re: Planning for the creation of the new 17.xx branch(es)

Arun Patidar-2
+1, good idea and good timing.

--
Thanks & Regards
---

HotWax Systems Pvt Ltd.

www.hotwaxsystems.com

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 10:03 PM, Taher Alkhateeb <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > trunk to be included in the branch by end of November: this means that
> the
> > the creation of the branch could happen at the end of November.
> > If this is the case then the names could be:
> > release17.11-framework
> > release17.11-plugins
> >
> > The above is for the release *branches* only, not for the actual
> releases.
> > We could decide at a later point if the actual releases will be shipped
> as
> > two separate products (e.g. "Apache OFBiz Framework 17.11.01" and "Apache
> > OFBiz Plugins 17.11.01") or merged into one (e.g. "Apache OFBiz
> 17.11.01").
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Jacopo

Re: Planning for the creation of the new 17.xx branch(es)

Hi Taher,

At 1s glance, I can't see any problems with individual plugins releases: +1

Jacques

Le 10/10/2017 à 18:33, Taher Alkhateeb a écrit :

> Hi Jacopo,
>
> I recently created a JIRA [1] to finalize the implementation of of
> gradle to utilize a maven repository provided by Infra [2]. The
> purpose of this maven repository as you may recall from our old
> discussion [3] is to be able to publish OFBiz plugins as ZIP archives
> in the repository.
>
> So now the question has come, how do we publish? I don't have a very
> clear idea in mind, but here are some thoughts:
>
> - We proceed exactly as you suggested for the release branches.
> - For plugins I distinguish between release branches vs actual
> releases as follows
>    - A single release branch would contain _all_ plugins (as exists right now)
>    - However, for actual plugin releases maybe we just create a tag in
> version control and then publish individually and separately to maven.
>
> This way, we encourage people to avoid thinking of plugins as things
> that you download from a branch and place manually, and instead think
> of them as extra functionality that OFBiz can provide for you with a
> single command on the command line (or maybe even through the UI in
> the future). On a side note, I think this is going to be a great
> release. We've accomplished a lot and solved quite a few bugs thanks
> to the great efforts from the community.
>
> Oh and +1 :)
>
> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-9832
> [3] http://markmail.org/message/bjvqu23ofwzuk57y
>
> Cheers,
>
> Taher Alkhateeb
>
> On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 10:35 AM, Jacopo Cappellato
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I think it is time to start thinking about if, when, how we should create
>> the new release branch out of the trunk. Actually, for the first time, we
>> should probably create two branches: one for the framework and one for the
>> plugins.
>> What do you think?
>>
>> In my opinion we could try to get all the changes we want to have in the
>> trunk to be included in the branch by end of November: this means that the
>> the creation of the branch could happen at the end of November.
>> If this is the case then the names could be:
>> release17.11-framework
>> release17.11-plugins
>>
>> The above is for the release *branches* only, not for the actual releases.
>> We could decide at a later point if the actual releases will be shipped as
>> two separate products (e.g. "Apache OFBiz Framework 17.11.01" and "Apache
>> OFBiz Plugins 17.11.01") or merged into one (e.g. "Apache OFBiz 17.11.01").
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Jacopo

Re: Planning for the creation of the new 17.xx branch(es)

Nicolas Malin-2

Agree to create the release 17.11 with a separate products framework &
plugins.

It's woulb be nice to create this release one week after the next
community days :)

Nicolas